Movies: Top 5 Christopher McDonald Roles
Posted October 22, 2008on:
Entertainment Weekly recently ran an article titled “The Hardest Working Actors In Show Biz.” The article profiled actors who have had roles in many successful projects, who are recognizable, but whose names people don’t know. At the end of it all, I noticed they left out THEE hardest working actor in show biz:
So, do you know who Christopher McDonald is?
Anybody who has seen Happy Gilmore couldn’t forget Shooter McGavin, the golfer who will stop at nothing to sabotage Happy’s rise to the top of the PGA tour. Shooter is the epitome of a self-centered jerk who deserves none of his success or wealth. In Happy’s image of hell, Shooter was pimping Happy’s grandma and groping his girlfriend! He steals every scene from Adam Sandler, even though Gilmore is one of Sandler’s most entertaining roles.
Christopher McDonald has been in over 85 films. He played Thelma’s inconsiderate husband Darryl in Thelma & Louise and he was even in Grease 2. He might just be my favorite actor! He’s not the best looking, or the most talented, or the even funniest, but he is THE BEST! Any scene this man is in is better just because he’s there. If you don’t believe me watch these films:
5. Broken Flowers (2005). He plays a real estate agent, bringing humorous insincerity and superficiality to a role that could have been totally forgettable.
4. American Pie: The Naked Mile (2006). He plays Stiffler’s dad alongside Eugene Levy. Chris adds something redeemable to an otherwise “skippable” movie.
3. SLC Punk! (1998). He plays the heartless, money grubbing father that makes his family move from New York City (the mecca of culture) to Salt Lake City (the Mecca?).
2. Requiem for a Dream (2000). Tappy Tibbons is a disturbing role in a disturbing movie. He truly shows the sickness of our culture.
1. Happy Gilmore (1996). This is my favorite Christopher McDonald role. Here is a sample of the dialogue: Shooter – “I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!”
Happy – “You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?”