Archive for the ‘Books’ Category
If you haven’t heard of either Twilight the book (the first of Stephenie Meyer’s bestselling series) or Twilight the movie, which opens on November 21, then you have been living under a rock for the past few months. Twilight has had an insane publicity push since early summer and early estimates look like it’s going to pay off BIG TIME. Here are some things that support that belief:
5. Best selling novels often become critical and commercial successes. Three of the five films nominated for best picture last year were adaptations: There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Men and Atonement. Even James Bond films are based on a book series.
4. Twilight is going to be extremely popular among young girls. Another film whose success relied largely on the interest of young girls: Titanic. Enough said.
3. The two stars are extremely attractive and talented. Kristen Stewart hasn’t been in too many films, yet, but she was captivating as a young hippie girl in In to the Wild. Robert Pattinson, who plays too gorgeous to be true vampire Edward, co-starred in two of the Harry Potter films, so he knows what it’s like to be sought after by young girls.
2. As I mentioned earlier, Twilight has been promoted as exciting, sexy and anticipated for months already. If marketing pays off, and we know if often does, viewers will be eager to see Twilight at least once.
1. Here are some responses from 5,000 people who are buying advanced tickets to Twilight:
92% will see Twilight on opening weekend
85% will see the film more than once
56% will go to the movie with a group
97% have read Stephenie Meyer’s novel
86% want to visit the film’s locations
95% are female
42% are age 25 or older
58% are younger than age 25
Now if some of these fans convince their less interested friends to go too…well I see “blockbuster” and Twilight in the same sentence in the very near future.
Entertainment icon, Diahann Carroll, has released her memoir entitled: The Legs Are The Last To Go: Aging, Acting, Marrying, and Other things I learned the hard way:
In her memoir she speaks candidly about her four marriages, her brush with breast cancer, her visit to Dr. 90210, her affair with Sidney Poitier, racial politics in Hollywood, and many other things she has seen in her 73 years of life.
Here’s the official press release:
This entertainment icon comes clean, on what it is like to be an award-winning trail blazer on-screen and on-stage…TV’s first black bitch, and an aging star in Tinseltown; one who is still working on hot network shows such as ‘Grey’s Anatomy.’ . . . This is a sensitive tale of a senior citizen coming of age that will entertain across multiple generations. Fans and critics alike will glean insight into Ms. Carroll’s brightest showbiz moments, romantic liaisons and the toll career devotion has taken on her family life, her brush with breast cancer, the loss of her father, and much more
Just when we thought tell-alls memoirs were for chic’s on the come up. Nonetheless, seems like it will be a great read. You can get your copy here (Amazon). Don’t know Diahann Carroll? You can check her out and get to know her here (IMDb) and here (Wikipedia).